Wednesday, March 16, 2011

THE LINE OF FATE

Read more


Visited Vienna's Museum of Modern Art this afternoon. I was particularly captured by a video within one of the exhibition, Craneway Project. (Read more)(See clip)

Watching a choreographer, bound to a wheelchair by age, but still working as a master of art was poetic. And watching dancers is so soothing. (Tangent) In fact this reminded me of a documentary about architect I.M Pei working through the design and construction of a museum in Suzhou, China. I.M Pei was born in Suzhou, which was once the home of traditional Chinese art and culture, so the place had special significance. (See clip) Like the choreographer I.M Pei is a master of his craft, but for both it has taken a lifetime to reach their peak. They've reached a point when each word, wave of the finger or line on the page is a mythical act.

I began to think about my own experiences, at university, working with Jim, and then on my own projects. The later has provided invaluable experience in designing and constructing landscapes in the "real world". It has enabled me to break through the intellectual baggage of university and put everything into perspective. Of course, travel has been interspersed throughout this whole process - these have provided new insights, and always find their way into my work.

So then, in contemplating the path of masters, my own professional development is in its infancy. In truth I will probably never reach a level close to their's. But, it gives context, so the foundation of my creative processes will continue to evolve - and this travel will be a critical influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment